Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:34:08 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: plaintext truncation

On 2015-08-13 20:09, Solar Designer wrote:
> magnum, all -
>
> I think that right now many JtR invocations are wasting lots of time
> testing unlikely candidate passwords because of the silent truncation to
> the maximum plaintext length supported by a given format, in cases where
> that maximum isn't the same as the target system's.
>
> I think we should enhance JtR to distinguish between two kinds of
> truncation: that of the target system (e.g., with descrypt and LM) and
> JtR-specific (e.g., with md5crypt).  In the former case, the default
> behavior should be to silently truncate and test those candidate
> passwords (like it's done now), whereas in the latter the default should
> be to skip those candidates.  Maybe it should be possible to override
> the default in the latter case - perhaps, with a config file setting (I
> wouldn't expect it to be frequently needed)?
>
> To implement this, we probably need to introduce a new format flag.
> Should we call it FMT_TRUNC?  And what should it mean - target system's
> truncation or JtR's truncation at a length below the target system's?
> Or should we call it differently, to make this clear from the name?

That makes sense. FWIW we already have the different behavior from
-max-length, which rejects as opposed to truncates.

For -stdout mode, this can be tested using these two *different*
alternatives:

$ ../run/john -w -stdout=4 | head
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
1234
pass
1234
abc1
comp
tigg
1234
qwer
mone
carm
3358p 0:00:00:00 100.00% (2015-08-13 20:32) 14600p/s sss

$ ../run/john -w -stdout -max-length=4 | head
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
1234
123

mike
bear
alex
love
rose
andy
john
378p 0:00:00:00 100.00% (2015-08-13 20:31) 1575p/s sss

magnum