Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 23:29:55 +0200
From: magnum <>
Subject: Re: format tags and gost 2012 aka stribog

On 2015-05-20 23:12, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> Also name stribog seems wrong: stribog is the name of algo, but it
> may be friendlier to users to call it "GOST...". The tag may follow
> the name. So $gost12$ ?
> What important properties should format tags exhibit in general?

We can change the format name, but I don't think it's very important.

We shouldn't change the tag names IMO. They don't need to be intuitive
at all. In my opinion tags are basically a john.pot or *2john thing.
They should  never be required in input files unless used IRL (eg. $1$)
or for non-hashes produced by *2john. Other than those, tags should
"always" be used in the pot file and "never" in input files. There are
exceptions though, eg. prepared files for contest participants.