Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 21:26:55 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Session names somename.[0-9]+ shouldn't be allowed

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 06:21:14PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 05/06/2015 05:58 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> > "Disallow session names with dots since these clash with those produced by
> > --fork.  Suggested by Frank Dittrich."
> >
> > http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/john/john/src/options.c.diff?r1=1.39;r2=1.40
>
> You don't even allow --session=test.md5crypt anymore.

Yes.  I'd rather not.  Let's keep the dot reserved for filename suffixes
added by John.

> > I didn't bother implementing checks on --restore and --status.  I think
> > it's enough to have the check on --session.
>
> I thought you would care about people who named their session test.2
> prior to the introduction of --fork ;)

Sure, but this doesn't require any special handling.

> Will ./john --status=test display the status of the forked processes as
> well?

Yes, if the main test.rec includes --fork in it.

> Otherwise, it might still be necessary to use ./john --status=test.2.

It shouldn't be necessary, but anyway it is still possible if one
chooses so.  The dot is only forbidden for --session, not for --status
nor --restore.

Alexander