Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:23:04 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] Task 1.4.2 fork and OpenMP

Shinnok, Mathieu,

On 04/28/2015 02:47 PM, Shinnok wrote:
> Let's see how we can handle that. I think --fork is pretty clear. We need:
> 1. One setting in the Options pane, allowing us to pass a value via
> --fork. The config widget should be a QSpinbox with max and default set
> to QThread::idealThreadCount().

While jumbo had fork for a while, older core versions didn't have --fork.
So you might need to check whether john supports --fork.
You need to parse john's usage output, and (for jumbo), the
--list=hidden-options output.

The same logic will be needed to check whether a given john version
supports certain cracking modes (--markov, ...).

run/john.bash_completion does have such checks, so you might have a look
there. It also tests which incremental modes, external modes, etc. are
supported by jumbo versions (making use of --list= commands) or core
versions (hard coded lists based on version numbers).
Last time I adjusted all the hard coded lists was after 1.8.0 has been
releases. If you find inconsistencies for core john versions > 1.8.0 (or
the master branch), please point them out to me (either on
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/ or on john-dev).

> Aleksey, Frank, is it my understanding that OpenMP is handled via
> environment args? In this case, what exactly does Johnny need to support
> in regards to that? (OMP_NUM_THREADS?)

If you don't pass OMP_NUM_THREADS, the default will be the number of
logical cores. Not sure if you really want the user to specify a
different number. This could be useful if there is other load on the system.

Frank