Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 04:06:27 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] UI Designer file obsolete hints

Hi Shinnok,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 04:25:25PM +0300, Shinnok wrote:
> I've proceeded to cleaning and updating the mainwindow.ui designer file to conform with the latest Qt Designer tool.
>
> There were some previous artifacts of development and design commented by Aleksey by hand in the xml file. I'm collecting them here for archival and discussion reasons:
> * The Benchmarking page button (a potential future task)
> * Console log page button (still relevant, see task 1.4.4)
> * Edit John's configuration file - or at least open external desktop editor via QDesktopServices (nice to have, how hard would it be for Johnny to find out the in use JtR .conf?)

If john is john (or a symlink to john?) then
- from distro package:
  - /etc/john/john.conf
  - ~/.john/john.conf
- not from distro package
  - the same folder as john, unless --config= option is used (btw it
    may useful to make a setting or an option for that; there may be
    john profiles to keep settings with johns, and then templates for
    profiles... not important though)

If john is not john (and not a symlink?) then anything could happen.
Though strace (or other utility to monitor files opened) may help on
Linux. For example, user may specify a script with
  path/to/john --config=... "$@"
or just
  path/to/john "$@"
instead of real. The latter may be the case if user wanted to put john
on PATH not adding run/ folder to PATH (but adding a script to PATH
that calls the real john). I am not sure how often it occurs in real
life.

I think if john is a symlink to john then the folder of the symlink is
like run/ . I am not sure though.

> * Update formats list via JtR button (automatically update the formats list, at least with jumbo we can do that via the capabilities list arg, Aleksey currently we use the Perl script for core right?)

Yes, for core there is a one-liner in devnotes.txt . It should be
straight forward to implement it in C++/Qt. It is not important
because core does not add formats often. Though IIRC Solar Designer
added tripcode so the list in current Johnny should outdated.

> * Make charset button (needs dissemination)
> * JohnStatus button in Output pane (was meant to get status of a running JtR instance on demand?)
> * Log page button (inspect John .log)
> * Session relevant buttons(load, save, new)
>
> Aleksey, anything I might have missed?

You may want to compare your original johnny sketch and current johnny
visually (not .ui but the real program). I removed all unimplemented
buttons before release 1.1. Much earlier, I remade Options Page to
follow john's logic. Also I added some buttons.

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov