Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 22:26:59 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Improving Johnny

It's not a full reply. Maybe there will be a follow up to cover other
parts.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 02:40:38PM -0400, Mathieu Laprise wrote:
> First, I reviewed the code to see if the string were marked as
> translatable. Almost all of them were. I found a problematic case in
> MainWindow::showJohnError. There were two functions in #define and their
> strings didn't register as translatable in the .ts file. I refactored it to
> make it works and easier to read. After that,I translated all strings to
> french since it's my first language. Finally, I added the .qm file to the
> resource file to keep everything in the executable. If you want to test it,
> you'll have to set your OS language to french. Do you think it would be
> useful to add a top down list in Johnny settings to change language for
> people who wouldn't want to use their system language ?

There are several cases when system language is not convenient:
- bad translation,
- letters to trigger menu item (those underscored like F in File;
using & in label like in "&File") follow the language, it's not
convenient if you have several keyboard layouts,
- lack of tutorial (with screen shots or video tutorial) in your
language,
- wish to use systems with different system languages keeping the same
keyboard behaviour and/or look,
- when you debug your language support (like width of labels).

On Linux, language may be set for a single call from shell with LANG
and/or LC_* variables (man 7 locale) like
LANG=fr_FR.utf-8 ./johnny

(It may or may not work. I'll test later.)

> Let's celebrate the first pull request of Johnny :) I double checked with
> care and Github says that it can be automatically merged. So there doesn't
> seem to have any problems. If you prefer to do it manually, no problem :)
>
> Here is the link : https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/pull/1

Great! Thanks!

--
Regards,