Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 13:07:47 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problem with john.conf

On Sun, Apr 05, 2015 at 09:30:41AM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> If we use [[Rules:Loop]] instead of [List.Rules:Loopback], the problem is
> also here:

I don't really care about the "problem" you reported initially.  Sorry. ;-)

If someone inserts random characters into a section name, surely it's
expected that the section is no longer recognized as what it used to be.

However, this discussion reminded me that it was a dirty hack to
introduce the "List." prefix with its special meaning.  I think using
another type of braces for list sections (as opposed to Name = value
sections) is less of a hack.  Or is it just me?

> I agree with Frank that 'List' sections should only be included by a 'List'
> section.

This makes sense to me, too.  I think this possible change in jumbo is
orthogonal to a possible switch from "List." to double-brackets in core.

Alexander