Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 15:22:47 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Coding Style

On 2015-04-05 14:04, Solar Designer wrote:
>> BTW I am tempted to officially have Jumbo deviate from core's tab width
>> recommentdation, using 4 instead of 8. With the "indent with TABs, align
>> with spaces" requirement (which I'm prepared to kill for) this only
>> affects how long a line gets[*]. It seems to me absolutely no-one use 8
>> (except I use to do it when working with John - but I'm about to give
>> that up) so many lines are committed that did not exceed column 80 with
>> the author's TAB setting but do when 8 is used.
>
> I use 8 char tabs, and I like them.  In early 1990s, I used to prefer
> indentation with a few spaces (2 or 3), but later I realized that if I
> need so many indentation levels that 8 char tabs start being a problem
> (push lines beyond 80 chars), this usually means that the code needs to
> be refactored (usually split into more functions).

I can relate to that and for core this is a good decision. But in Jumbo
we live with lots of external things: Macros like
CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_CHAR and functions like
clCreateProgramWithBinary(). Not to mention AMD's ADL. We get crazy long
lines without writing code that should be split to more functions.
Actually for OpenCL host code I often just give up and let it span
several lines.

> 8 char tabs are used in Linux kernel, and in many *BSD's KNL
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_Normal_Form

They also decide their name space. We can't.

Also, no matter what you and I say or want, virtually everyone that
contributes to Jumbo DO use 4 or smaller, and I'd rather not complain
too much about it (risking just ending up with less contributions). If
we say 4, we might get away with enforcing it.

magnum