Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 16:36:37 +0800
From: Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] JtR SIMD support enhancements

> On Mar 29, 2015, at 5:38 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> For AVX2, do you have where to test, or do you need access to our AVX2
> machine?  Actually, you can always test with Intel's SDE, but it may be
> easier to test on the real thing - and you'd need that for benchmarks.

Yes, I do need access to your AVX2 machine. My public key is in the attachment. As for SDE, it might be a good alternative if network connection to your server is too lagging (thanks to China's GFW). I'll give it a try.

> Another potential sub-task for MIC is to add OpenMP offload support.
> Right now, we're only building for MIC fully natively.  This runs fast,
> but in typical installs it means that JtR's input and output files
> reside in the MIC card's RAM, and will be lost if the card is rebooted.
> (This may be corrected by mounting a host directory via NFS.)  Also, to
> use multiple MIC cards, multiple instances of JtR need to be managed
> manually (or with scripts), whereas with OpenMP offload this might be
> transparent to the user.

I also thought of this before. I think the hard part is to identify which code to be offloaded. Anyway, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,
Lei