Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:38:12 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Ideas for the robustness gsoc task

On 2015-03-25 01:07, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:

Some additions.

> General cleaning
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> - Figure out which C standard we want (discuss on john-dev), document
> it, convert to it.
>
> - Figure out which coding style we want (discuss on john-dev), document
> it, convert to it.
> (character encoding for various files, indent(1) options)
>
> - Unify function names (get_salt -> salt etc.). This makes
> grepping/refactoring easier.
>
> - Get rid of unused global symbols (see
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/11/5 ,
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/11/6 ).
>
> - Get rid of unused macros (see
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/18/2 ,
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/19/4 ).
>
> - Look for strncmp with n==1 (see
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/12/18 ).
>
> - Identify embedded copies of other software.
>
> Misc
> ~~~~
>
> - Hardened build
>
> - Constification and format interface clarification (see
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/07/33 ).
>
> Cleaning hashes loading

Replace by:

Fixing input data handling
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- List sources of input data and classify its trustworthiness (discuss
in john-dev). Preliminary, from untrusted to less untrusted:

-- hashes
-- wordlists
-- rules
-- chr
-- config files (non-rules parts)
-- command line options
-- environment variables

> - Review loader.c (see
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/03/23/3 ).
 >
> - Revamp valid(), salt() etc. in all(?) formats:

Replace by:

- Review and revamp valid(), salt() etc. in all(?) formats:

> -- sync cpu/opencl/cuda formats (see
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/03/22/1 );
>
> -- get rid of strtok() (because it requires to make a copy of input
> string);
>
> -- get rid of atoi() and other functions exhibiting undefined behavior;
>
> -- ...probably by switching to a generic parsing functions (to be written).

- Review wordlist loading and rules application

- Review handling of other input data

- Review other parts of the code

> Static ananlysis
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> - gcc with various options
>
> - compile as C++ ?
>
> - clang with various options
>
> - Clang Static Analyzer
>
> - cppcheck
>
> - splint?
>
> - ...
>
> Dynamic analysis
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> - Valgrind
>
> - AddressSanitizer
>
> - Undefined Behavior Sanitizer
>
> - MemorySanitizier?
>
> - ThreadSanitizer?
>
> Fuzzing
> ~~~~~~~
>
> - Custom fuzzer (see
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/03/07/10 ,
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/03/07/15 ).
>
> - AFL
>
> - fuzz 2john tools
>
> - fuzz command-line options
>
> - fuzz environment variables
>
> - fuzz config files

- fuzz chr files

- (Dynamic analysis and Fuzzing) Build for different platforms: at least
32-bit, ideally big-endian

- Test with increased LINE_BUFFER_SIZE

--
Alexander Cherepanov