Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 01:07:00 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Ideas for the robustness gsoc task

Hi!

I've tried to collect various ideas for the robustness gsoc task. Some
of them are already tested, some probably require discussion. Comments,
additions?

General cleaning
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Figure out which C standard we want (discuss on john-dev), document
it, convert to it.

- Figure out which coding style we want (discuss on john-dev), document
it, convert to it.
(character encoding for various files, indent(1) options)

- Unify function names (get_salt -> salt etc.). This makes
grepping/refactoring easier.

- Get rid of unused global symbols (see
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/11/5 ,
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/11/6 ).

- Get rid of unused macros (see
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/18/2 ,
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/19/4 ).

- Look for strncmp with n==1 (see
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/12/18 ).

- Identify embedded copies of other software.

Misc
~~~~

- Hardened build

- Constification and format interface clarification (see
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/05/07/33 ).

Cleaning hashes loading
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Review loader.c (see
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/03/23/3 ).

- Revamp valid(), salt() etc. in all(?) formats:

-- sync cpu/opencl/cuda formats (see
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/03/22/1 );

-- get rid of strtok() (because it requires to make a copy of input string);

-- get rid of atoi() and other functions exhibiting undefined behavior;

-- ...probably by switching to a generic parsing functions (to be written).

Static ananlysis
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- gcc with various options

- compile as C++ ?