Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 12:54:19 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Bad formats, and some ideas on helping in this area

Over the past day or 2, I have fought with many formats on BE systems core
dumping, and trying to get these fixed, or at least fixed to where there is
no core dump (i.e. format still fails, but a -test=0 proceeds).  In doing
this, I had to make numerous hand edits in Makefile, and also in john.c for
certain formats, and then to move other formats into a removed directory,
until I could at least get a full -test=0 run.  Then I had to undo these
things, one at a time, sometimes editing Makefile and john.c, other times
just moving a file back, and removing fmt_*.h files.   All in all, an ugly
way to proceed.

However, if we had a mechanism to tell JtR to skip testing certain formats
(a list in john.local.conf ???), then the user would be able to place these
into this list, and continue forward.  So in the recent set of work I did, I
could simply place all of the formats that were tossing cores into this
file, and continue using the full JtR file, not having to make edits, move
files around, rebuild, etc .  Then I could work on a format, find the fix,
uncomment it from this list, and test to see if the core is gone, or if the
format properly PASS's test.   It should not be 'too' hard to add this   A
new list, then in test bench, simply look to see if this format should be
skipped, and do not run self test on it.

This would also be nice in the real world also.  Take for instance,
installing on a system that does not get lots of development work.  Some new
"FlapperIron" system.  JtR builds on it, but a couple formats misbehave.
The user does not care about these formats, but things like running
benchmarks, the test suite, etc, do not work well, if JtR does not complete
at least a full test.  I would think it easier for a user to add some format
labels to a list in a conf file, than to try to muck with moving files, or
possibly having to edit other files.

I am just putting this out to the list, asking if others thought this a
worthwhile 'task' to have done.

Jim.

Content of type "text/html" skipped