Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 01:19:15 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: autoconf

On 2014-05-07 03:39, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 11:57:06AM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> Just for a heads-up: We (mainly Jim as of yet) are trying to add
>> autoconf to bleeding-jumbo.
>>
>> Some discussions:
>> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/575
>>
>> Topic branch:
>> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/commits/autoconf
>
> A quick comment: I think HAVE_SSE*, HAVE_AVX*, and HAVE_XOP are
> undesirable.  I think it is better to continue to check the compiler's
> __SSE2__, etc. macros instead, and use -march=native unless requested

HAVE_SSE and the likes were listed merely becuase they were found in
current bleeding code (in a blake header). We use the normal GNU macros
and we also try not to change names of core macros like HAVE_CRYPT.

For systems not supporting -march=native, Jim's autoconf stuff will find
AVX/XOP/etc anyway and enable it.

But we should still detect support for "-march=native" and always use it
if it's there - because that will support future features without
updating the configure script.

> The one place where I think we may want to alter arch flavor settings
> with the compiler is when building john.c vs. the rest of JtR, to allow
> for arch flavor fallbacks.  john.spec on Owl does this.

That, and also the simpler case of just a packager wanting eg. x86-64
with SSE2-only since it's the lowest common denominator. Unless the
compiler supports creating code that can adopt, of course... I know icc
can do so. Can gcc do that?

> But I guess this is not currently under scope for your
> autoconf'ication

We plan to eventually support all sorts of things including "./configure
--with-systemwide=/usr/share/john" or something like that, and fallback
binaries. But yes, that's lower prio than just getting it to build
optimally on as many systems as possible.

BTW if we do things right we will also have excellent support for cross
compiling, easy as pi.

magnum