Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 10:02:48 -0500
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
Subject: Fwd:  was Re: [john-users] Fwd: jtr cygwin64

I have made this change in tty.c:

#if defined (__CYGWIN32__)
		FD_ZERO(&set); FD_SET(tty_fd, &set);
		tv.tv_sec = 0; tv.tv_usec = 0;
		//if (select(tty_fd + 1, &set, NULL, NULL, &tv) <= 0)
		if (!(select(tty_fd + 1, &set, NULL, NULL, &tv) && FD_ISSET(tty_fd, &set)))
			return -1;
#endif

and the problem goes away for both cygwin64 and cygwin32.  HOWEVER, I am not sure exactly why.  They select (without the !) was something I found online about doing a cvygwin replacement of kbhit() function (visual C specific).  I think our checking of <= 0 is where the problem is, but I am not sure exactly why, nor why it was happy in cygwin32, but fails in cygwin64.  Possibly we have not fully setup raw mode, or something else.   I do not have time to dig in too much today, but with the above 'simple' change, things are working, but I am just not sure it is right.    Heck, you can even comment out the select and it works fine also, so again, without digging in deeper, I am not sure what that select is intended to do.

Full original message with bug report left intact.