Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 21:14:35 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Reload pot file

On 2014-03-03 10:05, magnum wrote:
> On 2014-03-03 05:08, magnum wrote:
>> A different approach - and maybe quicker unless the above is simpler
>> than I imagine - would be to do it more like cracker.c does when
>> cmp_exact() returns true. I'd need to process the "hash:plain" into
>> binaries, salts, sources and plains as if it came from a running format
>> after a crack loop.
>
> Thinking out loud:
>
> First I copy
> crk_process_guess(struct db_salt, struct db_password, int index)
> and modify it into a
> crk_process_potword(struct db_salt, struct db_password, char *plain)
> (...)
>
> Maybe this would work. This seems simpler than the loader stuff I looked
> at.

This was definitely a simpler approach, that pseudo code was pretty much
the complete solution. I have a patch that works as a champ and seems
quite fast (I haven't really timed it). It does remember last known
position and so on. There's no real outstanding problems, just a lot of
testing to be made and finer details to be settled before this goes into
any commit.

Can you see any caveats with this approach? I can't.

magnum