Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:09:52 +0500
From: Muhammad Junaid Muzammil <mjunaidmuzammil@...il.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: General question: Motivation to contribute

Hello,

I am still a newbie in terms of open source contribution, though I have
been working over open source technologies for around two years. Getting a
platform for transferring parallel computing concepts into practical
modules has been one of my primary motivations.

The other benefits that I gained as a byproduct of becoming part includes
access to hardware, knowledge build up and appreciation for contribution to
the society.

Junaid.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM, Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 1, 2014, deepika <anamikaspace@...oo.com> wrote:
>
>> Wow!! so many answers. I appreciate you guys.  I just like the kind of
>> commitment you all have for this project. And that's the reason why JTR is
>> the topmost password cracker :)
>>
>> Keep Going!!
>> Deepika
>>

>>   On Saturday, 1 February 2014 6:19 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>  On 2014-01-31 21:02, magnum wrote:
>> > I love this project for the close-to-the-metal programming with tight
>> > inner loops and optimizations - quite the opposite of the oh so common
>> > high-level OO languages where you are guaranteed, by design, to lose
>> > track of what actually happens inside the CPU, or why.
>>
>> I forgot to mention that IMO it is an honor to be mentored by Alexander
>> Peslyak. Not that he ever asked to be my mentor, and not that he is
>> mentoring me nearly as much as I would like him to, but still. That guy
>> can tell by heart if a pipeline will do the job or not, or a cache will
>> fit or not, just by looking at high level code - and more often than not
>> he will be right about it. Now that I think about it, this was probably
>> the primary reason I got stuck here years ago while I was initially
>> experimenting with pretty much unrelated stuff.
>>

>> magnum
>>

> Hi guys,
>
> My motivations:
>
> -I am a big fan of parallel computing and JTR is my playground where I can
> learn as well as put my knowledge to practical use.
> -I still remember the first time when I joined here, 2 Yrs back I had
> little experience with openCL and I was a real newbie to infact everything
> else. I ran into problems even with the openCL part where my 4890 didn't
> support byte addressable store. Alexander encouraged me and walked me
> through the jtr interfaces and finally after a lot of struggle I was able
> to produce a working mscash2-opencl. It's really an honor to be mentored by
> him.
> -Access to hardware.
> -Helpful for my higher study.
>
> Currently I work full time at a thermal power plant as a control and
> instrumentation engineer, I am a teaching assistant for an MOOC called
> Coursera HPP, simultaneously I'm preparing for GRE standardized test. I'm
> hoping to come back during the month of April.
>
> Regards,
> Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped