Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 22:11:53 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: General question: Motivation to contribute

On Saturday, February 1, 2014, deepika <anamikaspace@...oo.com> wrote:

> Wow!! so many answers. I appreciate you guys.  I just like the kind of
> commitment you all have for this project. And that's the reason why JTR is
> the topmost password cracker :)
>
> Keep Going!!
> Deepika
>

>   On Saturday, 1 February 2014 6:19 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','john.magnum@...hmail.com');>>
> wrote:
>  On 2014-01-31 21:02, magnum wrote:
> > I love this project for the close-to-the-metal programming with tight
> > inner loops and optimizations - quite the opposite of the oh so common
> > high-level OO languages where you are guaranteed, by design, to lose
> > track of what actually happens inside the CPU, or why.
>
> I forgot to mention that IMO it is an honor to be mentored by Alexander
> Peslyak. Not that he ever asked to be my mentor, and not that he is
> mentoring me nearly as much as I would like him to, but still. That guy
> can tell by heart if a pipeline will do the job or not, or a cache will
> fit or not, just by looking at high level code - and more often than not
> he will be right about it. Now that I think about it, this was probably
> the primary reason I got stuck here years ago while I was initially
> experimenting with pretty much unrelated stuff.
>

> magnum

Hi guys,

My motivations:

-I am a big fan of parallel computing and JTR is my playground where I can
learn as well as put my knowledge to practical use.
-I still remember the first time when I joined here, 2 Yrs back I had
little experience with openCL and I was a real newbie to infact everything
else. I ran into problems even with the openCL part where my 4890 didn't
support byte addressable store. Alexander encouraged me and walked me
through the jtr interfaces and finally after a lot of struggle I was able
to produce a working mscash2-opencl. It's really an honor to be mentored by
him.
-Access to hardware.
-Helpful for my higher study.

Currently I work full time at a thermal power plant as a control and
instrumentation engineer, I am a teaching assistant for an MOOC called
Coursera HPP, simultaneously I'm preparing for GRE standardized test. I'm
hoping to come back during the month of April.

Regards,
Sayantan

[ CONTENT OF TYPE text/html SKIPPED ]