Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 00:29:28 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Busted OpenCL formats

On 8 Aug, 2013, at 21:51 , Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
>> What does it matter whether it's a status check or a cracked password? Why would you want to act differently?
>
> This is because checking is done on gpu. The host doesn't know which password is actually cracked. This information has to be retrieved from the gpu.

I still don't see the need for different behaviour. In both cases, what you need is a "slow" get_key() (it's not performance critical anyway) that communicates with GPU and returns the actual correct key for that very index.

For status reports, you could just as well report it as "abcd***" where the '*' show parts that are generated on GPU but since you need to implement the proper function anyway, this is not a very interesting option.

magnum