Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 02:17:47 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Daniel's weekly report #8

2013/8/9 Dániel Bali <balijanosdaniel@...il.com>:
> I think this is a good idea. I'll start with today:

Great thanks for a fast response.

> - Generated binary for DES kernel and patched the instructions with NOPs

Please try to add a brief description to the others that might read
this why you're doing certain thing.
This way your messages will be easier to understand.

> - I experimented with the kernel initialization process:
>     - Tried to remove various lines from the beginning to see if I get error
>     - Unfortunately I got an error almost all the time

What kind of error is it?
What enqueNDRange returns?

>     - It is not clear when an error occured. When it happens you usually get
> the results of the last execution (maybe due to a lack of clean-up after the
> previous exec)

You might be right, you can try to overwrite results with some pattern
like 0xdeafbeef to check that, but that's nothing important at the
moment.

>     - I didn't find any reference in any documents about the kernel's
> initialization and what should be loaded from where - maybe I should look
> further

It might be impossible to find such things.
Maybe try to review previous realhet's messages on AMD forum.
Sice you have more knowledge now you can possibly understand more from them.

> For tomorrow:
> - I will change the "binary_gen.c" so that it passes the same type and
> number of kernel arguments as blowfish takes. This way we will be able to
> copy the kernel initialization from the ISA file of blowfish and hopefully
> get LDS instructions working.

Sounds good.

Lukas