Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 02:10:42 +0200
From: Katja Malvoni <kmalvoni@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: ZedBoard / Parallella: bcrypt

Hi Alexander,

It seems that it's impossible to simulate Zedboard in ISim which will
complicate this task a bit. I tried it with Parallella prototype and I
wasn't able to make it work. There exists tutorial Hardware In The Loop
(HIL) Simulation for the Zynq-7000 All Programmable SoC but it seems that
it doesn't work with Zedboard. All I found on Xilinx and Zedboard forums
was that it will be supported in future but it seems that support isn't
ready yet (
http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/ZedBoard-HIL-simulation-problem-ELF-Verify-Failed/td-p/328467).
But still, this requires physical access to board.
Except that, there is AXI Bus Functional Model (BFM) used to simulate
communication on AXI bus. I followed this tutorial
http://zedboard.org/content/creating-custom-peripheral to create peripheral
register (slightly changed to make it use BFM) and I was able to get
everything in ISim. Although I still haven't figured out how to do actual
simulation.

Because of that I plan to do bcrypt implementation in following steps:
 - get working simulation of sbox transfers to and from custom peripheral
(in this case custom peripheral will just store sbox) (in case I won't be
able to do BFM simulation I'll skip this step)
 - implement those transfers between ARM core and FPGA on Parallella board
 - implement bcrypt's most costly loop as separate IP block and test it in
ISim (without communication, just logic)
 - when I get working simulation test IP block with AXI BFM
 - merge with Parallella prototype

Does this sound reasonable?

Katja

Content of type "text/html" skipped