Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 19:10:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Getting more from DYNAMIC

Hi all,

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:14:40AM +0200, Nicolas RUFF wrote:
> Unless I am mistaken, DYNAMIC is currently limited by design to the use
> of MD5 and SHA1 algorithms.
[...]

Jim is to reply to this for real, but I feel I need to remind / point
out that john-dev was meant for discussions of JtR source code only -
with code snippets/patches included in messages, etc.  A feature
request, even if an advanced one (and surely one that would eventually
result in source code changes, if implemented), belongs on john-users
rather than on john-dev, unless we somehow expect to start directly
discussing JtR source code changes in this very thread.  (Do we have
such expectations in this particular case?  I guess not, but I could be
wrong.)

The recent overuse of john-dev for some things that are not in fact JtR
development was prompted in part by me bringing up the "new dev box"
topic in here, which resulted in some follow-up postings on topics not
directly related to said dev box, nor to JtR source code.  Please don't
misinterpret this as having re-defined what john-dev is for.  It is
still primarily for discussing of JtR source code, and anything else
being discussed here is an exception to that rule, and such exceptions
are not meant to set precedents. ;-)  Litecoin mining on Parallella is
one such exception, which exists for specific good reasons.

Overall, I'd like us to use john-users more (and john-dev a bit less).

As to this specific thread, on enhancing DYNAMIC:

Nicolas - would you bring this up on john-users?  If you do that, then
let's continue on john-users (and only move back to this thread on
john-dev if/when JtR source code changes would need to be directly
discussed).

Jim - please feel free to reply on either list.  I do not want my
suggestion on use of these two lists to result in non-replies merely
because of the arguably suboptimal choice of mailing list.

All - if you're subscribed to john-dev, but not to john-users, I
strongly recommend that you join john-users as well.  This applies to
our GSoC students, too.  You might be able to contribute to development
better if you're exposed to some "user" discussions.

Thanks,

Alexander