Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:01:35 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: md5 hash comparisons

Sayantan,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 12:14:27AM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> Jtr functionalists known to me that are broken include: status checking and
> speed reporting. What else ?

Do other formats work (without mask mode, or with masks handled fully on
CPU) in such builds of JtR?

Do other (non-mask) cracking modes work with GPU-mask-enabled formats?

Does rpp work for its primary purpose (rule preprocessing) in such
builds of JtR?

> Currently the formats also lack proper auto tune.

So that's something for you to fix, too.  For use in the contest, it's
fine if you target 7970 only, though.

> Also we need to discuss mask mode + wordlist in more details.

Yes, but for the contest it is sort of sufficient if the mask can be
appended or prepended to words (after rules have been applied on CPU).
If you only have time to implement one of these, then it's appending.
It's just unrealistic that you'd implement more than this soon enough.

> I'm working on NTLM and I will probably be able complete the other three
> you mentioned above before contest assuming there are no other unseen
> problems.

Sounds good.

> We still have around two weeks to prepare for the contest, right ?

About 10 days, and I have a lot of other tasks to take care of (mostly
unrelated to JtR and the contest).

Thanks,

Alexander