Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 00:14:27 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: md5 hash comparisons

Hi Alexander,

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> While we need to support these high loaded hash counts efficiently,
> we're unlikely to see them in the upcoming contest. ;-)  In this
> context, it'd make more sense for you to spend the following week
> focusing on making mask mode available and work reliably and with proper
> speed reporting, for more of the formats - and maybe also in combination
> with other cracking modes (especially wordlist).  Besides descrypt and
> raw MD5, it'd be nice to also have it for NTLM, MSCash (DCC), raw SHA-1,
> and raw MD4.  Also, it'd be nice if your mask mode addition doesn't
> break any of the existing JtR functionality - I think the way you hacked
> it in currently does break other features.
>
> Can you bring your mask mode on GPU stuff to a practically usable form
> before the contest?

Jtr functionalists known to me that are broken include: status checking and
speed reporting. What else ?
Currently the formats also lack proper auto tune.
Also we need to discuss mask mode + wordlist in more details.
I'm working on NTLM and I will probably be able complete the other three
you mentioned above before contest assuming there are no other unseen
problems.
We still have around two weeks to prepare for the contest, right ?

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped