Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:03:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Regular Expression mode for JtR

Hi Jan,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:45:56PM +0200, Jan Starke wrote:
> I'm currently fiddling around with some kind of a "regular expression mode"
> for JtR. But as I am new to JtR development I am not sure of the correct
> way of implementing such a new mode.

What you did mostly looks correct.

> Unfortunately, I had to change some JtR code to make it compilable with a
> c++ compiler (formats.h), because I knew no other way of solving the issue
> ("private" is a c++ keyword). Maybe you find some other drawbacks in my
> code and hopefully better alternatives :-)

The "private" rename is no big deal, but actually requiring a C++
compiler for JtR build is worse.

Can't you do it like this: keep your library in C++ if you prefer, but
add a plain C interface to it, and have the source files added to JtR
tree in plain C (yet interfacing to your library)?

Also, the CPP make variable generally means C preprocessor, not C++.
The canonical make variable name for a C++ compiler is CXX.

Your added regexp.cpp and regexp.h files somehow list me as copyright
holder and you as author.  This could mean a copyright transfer, but
without further clarification it's just confusing.  I'd prefer that you
(and not me, until I possibly make any changes) be the copyright holder
for these files, as long as you're licensing them under the permissive
terms.

As to librexgen license, are you sure you want a license as restrictive
as GPLv3, which means your library would only be usable by programs
released under licenses compatible with GPLv3?  If you're sure you want
strong copyleft and specifically GPL, maybe at least relax to GPLv2+?
I suggest relaxing much further, perhaps to LGPLv2+ or to a permissive
license (non-copyleft).

Thanks,

Alexander