Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 08:54:52 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new dev box wishes (was: Contest)

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 04:31:50PM -0300, Claudio Andr? wrote:
> > On 26-05-2013 15:59, Solar Designer wrote:
> > > We'll need to discuss where to put it. Replacing bull's 7970 with 7990
> > > is one easy option, but not necessarily the best one. Yes, I think we
> > > should make this 7990 gift card available for the entire JtR dev team
> > > online, in whatever machine.
> >
> > A new 'mamuth' machine having a 7990, a GTX 690 and any good APU would
> > be really a nice toy. Expensive, but powerfull.

7990 on bull is definitely going to be great. I think replacing 570 isn't a
good idea.  Nvidia openCL on 570 is less buggy than AMD's. So we can use it
for testing purposes. However we can move it to a 4x PCIe rather than a 16x
or 8x.
For an APU I would like to wait until HSA is implemented on AMD APUs.
Otherwise there is no point in using APU.
Have we considered Titan ?  It is better than 580 SLI/680 SLI/690 in
integer math. GTX 780 should be on par with 580 SLI in terms of integer
math.

Can we use the two GPUs on a 7990 separately ? If not we shouldn't be
replacing 7970 on bull either.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped