Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 22:59:22 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Contest

Hi Claudio,

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 07:27:31AM -0300, Claudio Andr? wrote:
> (Since i don't have a development machine anymore) I really appreciate
> if anyone can try sha256crypt-opencl on bull using contest file for some
> time (if Lukas haven't). It shouldn't, on default settings, give any
> problems.

Do you mean testing to make sure it does not result in ASIC hangs on the
7970, due to this format using a split kernel?  I guess it won't cause
such issues.  My comment (during the contest) that it might cause issues
with high rounds pre-dated your clarification that it was a split kernel.

> I'm sorry it did not help you during contest

Oh, it's not anyone's fault.  It's just that we (and presumably other
teams) did not figure out what pattern to use to crack any of those hashes.

> and I suppose hints like these wasn't enought.
> http://xanadrel.fr/images/hashrunner/sha256_1.jpg
> http://xanadrel.fr/images/hashrunner/sha256_2.jpg

I think these "hints" mostly expressed Xanadrel's frustration about
similarly not being able to crack these hashes despite of the tomato
image hint from the contest organizers.

> Seems Hashcat failed too(?):
> https://twitter.com/hashcat/status/338168462641868801/photo/1

Yes.  I'm not aware of any team cracking these hashes successfully.

> The good news is that you guys will have a 7990 on bull soon.

We'll need to discuss where to put it.  Replacing bull's 7970 with 7990
is one easy option, but not necessarily the best one.  Yes, I think we
should make this 7990 gift card available for the entire JtR dev team
online, in whatever machine.

Alexander