Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 01:46:18 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new dev box wishes (was: Contest)

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 11:33:59PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> The problem with 5xx is you can't buy them anymore.

Really?  This doesn't appear to be the case here.  But yes, it will be
soon even if not yet.  Good point in favor of starting to test and
optimize for 6xx as well.

> You could get used ones of course. IMO it doesn't matter much what we have, just anything so we can test and develop multi-GPU with CUDA.

Before we care about multi-GPU with CUDA (rather than only with OpenCL),
shouldn't our formats reach decent speeds with CUDA?  Right now, they're
often slower than their OpenCL counterparts and they lack auto-tuning.

> > I think we may also want to install a Xeon Phi (despite of the price and
> > lower performance per dollar than we achieve with GPUs for most formats),
> > if we have people who would proceed to make use of it for JtR development
> > soon enough (do we?)
>
> That would be interesting. I haven't figured out how they will normally be used: Do we just get more cores to use with normal (?) OpenMP builds, or can we use OpenCL? Perhaps both alternatives are supported?

Xeon Phi runs a Linux distro on itself.  (It even supports x86 real
mode for bootup, and the cores are much like the original Pentium's plus
those 512-bit SIMD units.)  OpenMP was supported by Intel right away,
and I think now OpenCL is as well.  I guess we may have the option of
putting the entire JtR onto Xeon Phi, or interfacing to a program
running on Xeon Phi (could be OpenCL kernel?) from the host system.
I don't know yet whether Intel's OpenCL SDK for interfacing to Xeon Phi
is meant to be installed onto Xeon Phi's Linux or onto the host's Linux,
or maybe if either mode is supported - we'll need to figure this out.

Alexander