Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 20:22:48 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Incremental mode in 1.7.9.14

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 10:04:12PM +0200, Simon Marechal wrote:
> This might be controversial, but I believe that "early" efficiency is
> meaningless for that kind of generator. Every sane person will run some
> kind of dictionary based attack before resorting to incremental.
>
> I will run tests comparing all versions against my "hard" list of
> plaintexts to check this use case.

I think the "early" efficiency is not meaningless, but is in fact less
important than efficiency on relatively stronger passwords (after having
the weakest ones cracked by other means).

Luckily, your test results (provided off-list) indicate that the new
code (the latest patch) performs well on your "hard" passwords as well.

Thank you for testing!

Alexander