Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 22:47:52 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --fork under Cygwin

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 07:15:02PM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> > I've had that happen, john forks into it's processes, loads the hashes,
> and
> > 6 out of 8 (for example) never use any CPU.
>
> That's nasty, and probably not something we can fix via our code
> (without patching Cygwin).
>
> > The very first or second
> > contest version I had the least trouble with, but it was also used the
> > least.
>
> I'm not aware of changes that would introduce more trouble.  Maybe a
> Cygwin version upgrade?

Anyone know how to "check out" older versions of cygwin1.dll? I could try
to run a few different ones, I have the latest (1.7.18), and the one from
the JtR we use because of an OMP bug, but there may be others worth trying
as well, just in case... Once I'm in front of my computer I'll try what i
have from yesterday's bleeding DL.
-rich

[ CONTENT OF TYPE text/html SKIPPED ]