Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 23:57:41 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bitslice DES on GPU

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> I am working on patching the source at run time. However it seems that
> during benchmark , salt is changed every time before a crypt all() call is
> made.  This is negatively affecting the benchmark results because every
> time the salt is changed we need to rebuild the kernel which is very slow.
> So is it possible to run the benchmark without changing the salt every time
> ? In real world cracking how often is the salt changed ?
>
> Regards,
> Sayantan

I have managed to solve the above problem by storing the all the kernels
corresponding to different salt in host memory. Hence there is no need to
rebuild kernel every time the salt is changed. However the amount of memory
used can be quite high depending upon the number of different salts loaded.
I have posted the patch in git repo.

Regards,
Sayantan

[ CONTENT OF TYPE text/html SKIPPED ]