Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:17:17 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: lm2ntlm

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 05:13:02PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> "--loopback" is not in core JtR, it is a fairly recent addition to jumbo -
> in fact, I did not recall it when writing my previous reply.  I think it
> addresses the issue with colons.  So I think things are pretty good as-is,
> except that maybe we need to write a tutorial or something.

Oh, things are not so good: I totally forgot that --loopback does not
combine LM hash halves (indeed, it does not have/know the input password
file to do so).  So we're back to the approach with "cut", and this has
the colon problem.  A solution may be to enhance --show so that we could
tell it to output first two fields only (then we'll use "cut -f2-").
Another solution may be to get some LM2NT functionality into JtR proper.

http://www.room362.com/blog/2012/10/24/lm2ntlm-with-john-the-ripper.html

Alexander