Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:13:02 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: earthquake@...on.hu
Subject: Re: lm2ntlm

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 09:05:26AM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> I believe this is taken care of in two or more ways already, the one I
> use is a wordlist rule (called NT) and can be coupled with --loopback
> [aka --loop] option (default reads john.pot but file can be
> specified).
> john passwords.txt -format=lm -pot=lm.pot (cracks lm hashes to a LM
> only pot if you wish)
> john passwords.txt -format=nt -loopback=lm.pot -rules=nt
> NT is in the john.conf file by default, and I think loopback is in
> jumbo and non-jumbo but I may be wrong. There may be other ways of
> doing this already in JtR, I just don't recall them yet.

"--loopback" is not in core JtR, it is a fairly recent addition to jumbo -
in fact, I did not recall it when writing my previous reply.  I think it
addresses the issue with colons.  So I think things are pretty good as-is,
except that maybe we need to write a tutorial or something.

Anyhow, this is more of a john-users topic than a john-dev once.  I see
why this is on john-dev, though - because the discussion started with a
proposed patch.

Alexander