Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 05:20:06 +0400
From: Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan@...me.ru>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPL license is not free at all

On 2012-10-02 00:45, magnum wrote:
>> Moreover, I'm afraid that if we were to follow strictly that GPL madness, we should stop developing GPU code at all, because we link to the proprietary OpenCL library anyway.
>
> LOL. OK, so we drop all GPU support, as well as all formats that use OpenSSL (which btw includes RAR anyway). What is left? Core John. Let's just rename john-jumbo to john-nonfree and get over with it. This is just silly.

There are several problems:

1) a) unrar is non-free and b) GPL-incompatible;
2) OpenSSL is GPL-incompatible;
3) (assuming thar Milen is right) OpenCL is a) non-free and b)
GPL-incompatible.

By declaring jumbo non-free you only resolve 1a and 3a. You still have
to address 1b, 2, 3b then.

--
Alexander Cherepanov