Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:07:51 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's daily status report #13

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 01:43:31PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:35:52AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> > I agree that the packages should provide proper dependencies (which
> > might be hard because each distribution seems to name the required
> > packages differently)
>
> I think it's sufficient to have the autodetected dependencies on the
> libraries (by soname).  RPM includes scripts to have such autodetection
> happen automagically (when the package is created).

My .debs require libqtgui4 of version 4.6.0 or higher. libqtgui4 seems
to be standard name for many debian-based distros (at least for those
4 tested (I tried binaries on bodhi linux also)).

My .rpms require libQtGui.so.4 . It is not explicitly specified but
rpmbuild added this dependency (with libQtCore.so.4 that I guess is
more than necessary because libQtGui.so.4 needs libQtCore.so.4 in any
case).

As Frank mentioned dependency by package name would be hard to achieve
because different distributions provide qt under different names
(mageia - libqtgui4, opensuse - libqt4-x11, fedora - qt-x11). Though I
guess there is OR operator for dependencies so all possible names
could be listed.

The only problem with libQtGui.so.4 dependency is uncertain version. I
tried to specify libQtGui.so.4 explicitly but got dependencies to many
i586 packages on x86_64 systems. I guess I need to specify arch for
dependencies but it makes things even more complicated so I considered
to postpone it (probably I'll not implement it at all due to
better/other packaging approach next time). I forgot to mention this
problem in my report.

Thanks!

--
Regards,