Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 02:28:09 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Current -fixes GPU formats vs TS

Lukas -

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 12:05:26AM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2012/8/11 Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>:
> > I'll merge those changes and send final patch to magnum.
> > I added in my last patch proper get_binary and get_hash  functions,
> > and removed crack checking from gpu code. So your changes to this code
> > won't be included in the final version.
>
> Here's patch. Moving crack checking to cpu seems to not affect speed.

Why do you #include "sha2.h" and how is this going to work in the -fixes
branch?

The CUDA and OpenCL implementations are now inconsistent in where the
comparisons are done.

Did you do your speed testing on your cards only or also on bull's?
I think there may be a bit more of a difference (maybe 1% or so?) with
the faster GPUs.

I think you could transfer e.g. 64-bit partial hashes to CPU only, and
when these match, do a full recomputation and comparison in cmp_exact()
(on CPU).  But this is beyond what's acceptable for the -fixes branch
now.  Also, you're right that polishing this format (beyond making it
work, which we did) is not a priority right now.

Thanks,

Alexander