Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 02:17:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: DES_BS_ASM in DES_bs_b.c

Sayantan -

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:03:17PM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> What are the values of DES_BS_DEPTH that I need to consider ?

You'll need to set your own in your copy/revision of the code, to match
the GPU.  The value will be in the thousands or even millions.

Alternatively, you could keep DES_BS_DEPTH small - maybe even as small
as 32 - and reuse the approach and maybe even code that we use to
support multiple threads on CPU to support multiple OpenCL work-items.

The latter may allow a binary build of John to adapt to different GPUs.

> Also it seems like only DES_BS_DEPTH==128 is being used.

This is the case for builds with 128-bit SIMD vectors on CPU.  Other
builds use other values of DES_BS_DEPTH.

Alexander