Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 12:11:22 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's status report #14

On 08/05/2012 09:22 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> - clean gui up
>
> I disabled all buttons intended for jumbo.

I wonder whether we should prevent GUI users from combining
--incremental with --external.
I am afraid inexperienced users might use this feature to just shoot
themselves into the foot, e.g., by combining --incremental=alpha and
--external=filter_digits.
OTOH, similar things can be achieved in --single and --wordlist mode.

If we keep the current functionality, we might need to provide a hard
coded value list, or rather, two value lists, one for running --external
as a standalone attack, another for combining --single, --wordlist, or
--incremental with an external filter.

For the first iteration, we can just use these hard coded values (taken
from john.bash_completion; I checked several john versions while
building the hard coded lists when --list= ouptput if not available).

I wouldn't expect any GUI user to define additional external modes,
so hard coded lists should work.

Standalone external modes that should exist in every john version we aim
to support:
LanMan Double Parallel Strip Keyboard

I am, however, not sure how useful such a list of hard coded values is,
without in some way providing the information that is available in the
config file comments preceding the external mode definition.
(To make things even more complicated: In a jumbo version, the useful
comments sometimes appear in front of the [List.External_base:Section]
which is included by the real List.External: modes.)

External filters that should exist in every john version we aim to support:
Filter_Alpha Filter_Digits Filter_Alnum Filter_LanMan

Frank