Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 05:49:38 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's status report #14

Aleksey, Frank -

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 10:23:21PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 08/05/2012 09:22 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> > You could find settings in
> > ~/.config/Openwall/Johnny, the GUI for John the Ripper.conf
> > So to remove them use
> > $ rm ~/.config/Openwall/Johnny,\ the\ GUI\ for\ John\ the\ Ripper.conf
>
> Can you use a file name without spaces and special characters. e.g.,
> just ~/.config/Openwall/Johnny.conf instead?
> It may be just a matter of taste, but I find file names with spaces
> annoying.
> If you don't line Johnny.conf, then may be Johnny-GUI.conf?

How about making it simply ~/.john/johnny.conf (all-lowercase) or
~/.john/gui.conf (ditto)?  John the Ripper may already create ~/.john if
it is installed system-wide, we can just reuse this directory if present
or create it if not.

... In fact, why the .conf suffix?  Does this file use the same human
friendly syntax that john.conf uses?  If so, this may be OK (although
having the file overwritten by the GUI might be unexpected).  Otherwise,
we need to call it something else - e.g., ~/.john/gui.dat.

Alexander