Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 01:05:47 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mscash2 / hmac-md5 ambiguity

On 07/24/2012 12:41 AM, jfoug wrote:
> I think we are now pushing over 120 formats, written by different people.
> Numerous of these formats handle data in multiple ways, and/or
> handle/convert raw hash strings as valid data.  That is where ambiguity
> creeps in. There is absolutely no way around the ambiguity.  It simply is
> not going to happen, unless we force a unique string for each format, and
> that will force users to have to modify the 'native' hash strings they have
> in hand, just to fit into JtR.

I think Alexander was talking about such collisions that remain even if
we convert all password hash files into a form that uses the canonical
representation (for those formats where such a canonical representation
exists). This could be a scripted one-time activity (provided it is easy
to identify the hash format that is used in a certain file.

If Korelogic will mix several ambiguous hashes of different formats into
one file, then this approach wouldn't work.
(Because after cracking the first few passwords, you might assume that
all the other similar hashes in that same file also have the same format.)

Frank