Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 00:59:58 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mscash2 / hmac-md5 ambiguity

On 07/23/2012 11:36 PM, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> On 2012-07-23 14:59, magnum wrote:
>> The hmac format should unify case too, it's a to-do (and a bug). IMHO
>> the only really good solution is to accept the harmless warning. We get
>> very similar warnings in many other situations.
>
> How many such situations are there?
>
> For now I see the following:
>
> canonical       is accepted as
>
> dynamic_23      sapg
> mscash2            hmac-md5
> mssql05            dynamic_19
> oracle11    dynamic_0 dynamic_2 dynamic_3 dynamic_19 dynamic_22
> dynamic_23 dynamic_26 dynamic_29 dynamic_30 dynamic_33 dynamic_34
> dynamic_50 dynamic_1001 dynamic_1002 dynamic_1003 dynamic_1004
> dynamic_1005 dynamic_1006 dynamic_1010
> phpass            dynamic_17
> phps            dynamic_6
> raw-md5            dynamic_0
> raw-sha1    raw-sha1 raw-sha1-linkedin sapg raw-sha1-ng dynamic_26

There is a workaround as long as there is just one hash type per
"collision" required during the contest.
We could consider renaming the *_fmt_plug.c files (or moving unneeded
plugin formats to unused/) and/or patching john.c and recompile and/or
removing dynamic_10?? format definitions from the config file, to
register the formats in a sequence that makes sure the relevant format
appears first.
Not sure if we want to do that in the first hour of the contest, only to
realize some time later that we need additional formats.

Frank