Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:59:38 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: RFC: add more information to --list=build-info output?

>> Add:
>>
>> OpenSSL version, and bit size (if that can be found).
>
>Do we link OpenSSL dynamically? In that case, I'd consider that run time
>info instead of build-info.
>This would justify a --list=run-time-info.
>
>I'll have to check what happens if I print OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER, and
>copy the binary that has been built on one machine to another one.

The OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER is a compile time thing.  There likely is some
way to get the version of the runtime instance also.

This WOULD be a good check, if they do not match, list this as a warning.
Even though this would be a run-time check, I think it would be beneficial
to have the run-time version listed on the -list=build-info, IF that version
did not match what this image was built with.

Jim.