Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 06:13:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: reset()

myrice, magnum, Jim, all -

Here's how I am introducing reset() - a format method that may transfer
salts/hashes to GPU.

/* Called whenever the set of password hashes being cracked changes, such as
 * after self-test, but before actual cracking starts.  When called before a
 * self-test or benchmark rather than before actual cracking, db may be NULL.
 * Normally, this is a no-op since a format implementation shouldn't mess with
 * the database unnecessarily.  However, when there is a good reason to do so
 * this may e.g. transfer the salts and hashes onto a GPU card. */
	void (*reset)(struct db_main *db);

john-1.7.9.6+done-reset-1.diff is relative to the patch introducing
done(), which I posted previously.

john-1.7.9.6-reset-1.diff is relative to 1.7.9.6 as found in CVS.

Unfortunately, the existing self-test won't be able to test such formats
for real (including their on-GPU storage of salts/hashes).  We may
revise the approach to self-testing later.

Alexander

View attachment "john-1.7.9.6+done-reset-1.diff" of type "text/plain" (6721 bytes)

View attachment "john-1.7.9.6-reset-1.diff" of type "text/plain" (10721 bytes)