Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:44:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: self-test duration vs. GPU benchmarks

Hi,

When testing GPU formats, especially for slow hashes, the self-test is
often taking multiple seconds, and it affects the c/s rate reported
while cracking.

The attached patch corrects this to some extent by only running the
self-test exactly once for each format (previously, it'd be run twice
for one vs. many salts benchmarks, and also before the start of each
cracking mode when running in "batch mode") and by not including its
duration in total session time.

These changes will appear in core and thus in bleeding.

Unfortunately, there may be some bugs that would be caught by the
repeated self-tests, but would not be caught now.  There were some in
the past.  So we'll need to be trying -DDEBUG builds on some occasions.
I also intend to improve the self-tests to make them faster yet less
likely to miss issues like that.  But it's a separate task, for later.

Alexander

View attachment "john-1.7.9.6-selftest-1.diff" of type "text/plain" (1685 bytes)