Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 22:52:40 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: formats interface enhancements

On 2012-07-04 22:44, jfoug@....net wrote:
> I thought of a couple of things we have kicked about at one time or
> another, when it comes to self test data.
>
> 1. Add a flag that says to use this ST value as a benchmark or not.

Or even have a completely separate list pointer (but still of type
"struct fmt_tests") for the benchmarks. For most formats, it too can
point to 'tests'.

> 2. Add some sort of fields to the ST, so that it will be used or
> skipped on a build.  Things to check for are:  PLAIN_TEXT_LEN <= the
> length of the PW, if in utf8 mode or not (or other encoding), etc,
> etc.  Then we can build test data, and allow run-time john to
> determine what TS's to use

The PLAINTEXT_LENGTH check could actually be checked for regardless of
any flag (always).

A pending change to the encoding stuff is to make all flag integers a
bitfield instead of the bunch of ints we have now. This would make the
encoding case much easier to implement.

magnum