Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:41:19 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Use of ? in options like --list=format-methods:?,
 that is mask

Hi Aleksey,

On 07/03/2012 03:25 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 02:58:10PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> $ ./john --list=format-methods:?
>
> By the way I found that ? is a mask in unix shells. ? is a magic char
> that means any char. So you need to quote it like
> $ ./john --list=format-methods:\?
> or
> $ ./john '--list=format-methods:?'
> or with double quotes to say exactly what you want.

thanks for pointing that out.

Jim reported a similar problem for --list=? under Windows some time ago.

So, may be we should use --list=help instead of --list=?.
Or. may be, show all possible values when using
./john --list (without values)

Now that jumbo-5 got released with --list=?, we need to support it a
little longer, but we don't need to actively advertising it in the usage
screen.

Instead of --list=format-methods:?, I would vote for a new option name
--list=method-names or something similar.

But I'll not write any more patches today. (I got already two simple
patches wrong - time to rest.)
So, either someone else does it, or I will wait one or two days until
agreement about the preferred approach is reached.

Frank