Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 17:25:06 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Use of ? in options like --list=format-methods:?, that is
 mask

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 02:58:10PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> $ ./john --list=format-methods:?

By the way I found that ? is a mask in unix shells. ? is a magic char
that means any char. So you need to quote it like
$ ./john --list=format-methods:\?
or
$ ./john '--list=format-methods:?'
or with double quotes to say exactly what you want.

In most cases it is not a problem because bash does not see any files
like --list=format-methods:<any char> and passes argument as is to
john. But in practice there is zsh with option
setopt nomatch notify
that aborts command when mask does not match any names.

It makes little confusion. Though it is a rare case. And I am not sure
that there could be a better alias for help, maybe only "list" or
"help" words could be.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov