Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:02:08 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: I think I got it

>From: Frank Dittrich [mailto:frank_dittrich@...mail.com]
>> NOTE, in dyna.conf, the task is MUCH harder, since it does not know
>how JtR was built.
>
>If you define a dynamic format in a config file and use max. password
>length 80, the specific mmx or other implementation that will be used
>"knows" the supported max. password length.
>
>So, it could compare the value specified in the format definition,
>compare it with the value that can be supported, fprintf(stderr,
>"Warning: max. password length reduced from %d to %d\n", ...); and
>reduce the max. password length as if
>--length=N                force a lower max. length
>had been used on the command line.

When I get builds done, and run through the TS, I will release.  It added 2 new items to the john.conf.

There was SaltLen=#  and MaxLength=#  I have added SaltLenX86=#  and MaxLengthX86=# also.

Now, MaxLength is defined like this (in the .conf file, and from the preloads)

If (!MaxLength)  MaxLength = 55 - abs(SaltLen)  (or 80-abs(SaltLen) for non mmx).

if (!MaxLengthX86) {
  if (SaltLenX86)
    MaxLengthX86 =  80-abs(SaltLenX86);
  else
    MaxLengthX86 =  80-abs(SaltLen);
}

This is now setup in both the preloads, AND in the .conf files.

I should have this wrapped up shortly.