Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:54:00 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: I think I got it

Now that the TS is in git, there will likely be a lot of changes.

>From: magnum [mailto:john.magnum@...hmail.com]
>> I think we really need to construct the input dictionary more
>> carefully, and we need to make sure the test cases contain passwords
>> that are close to the max. password length that the format claims to
>support.
>
>Yes, we discussed that off-list (sorry!) already. We have some GPU
>formats too that are currently not tested right up to their max lengths.

To get these type changes, I will rework the dictionary used, and regen all of the format input file (or most of them).  A lot of the things done in the TS have grown or morphed over time, as we saw problems which were not addressed by self testing.  We saw over/underflows, and added the longer lines, 'interspersed' inside of the dictionary file (simply sprinkled in randomly).  That caught a bunch of problems, a lot more than most people are aware of.   However, it is not obvious, that 'good enough' was not good enough, and we need to sit down and really fabricate the tests properly.

Jim.