Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:18:23 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wordlist dupe suppression

On 2012-06-19 22:55, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 10:48 PM, magnum wrote:
>> --dupe-suppression       Suppress dupes in wordlist [regardless of size]
>>

>> john.conf options (as delivered):
>>
>> [Options]
>> # Dupe suppression will be performed if file is smaller than this
>> WordlistDupeSuppressThreshold = 0
>
> May be we should allow 0 to mean "regardless of size"?, and don't allow
> suppression if that parameter doesn't exist?
> If so, that should also be mentioned in the comment.

Maybe, but even I really want some limit. I would set it to a gigabyte
or so. Alternatively, to make it crisp-clear, the comment could
explicitly state that 0 means disabled.

>> # Same as above, but for closed-loop mode (.pot files)
>> PotFileDupeSuppressThreshold = 1073741824
>
> The comment should mention a unit. Wordlist file size of 1073741824
> bytes? Number of lines in the wordlist file?

Good user-view thoughts as usual. Whatever I choose, I'll document it in
the comments.

Also, this will probably make me re-visit the issue of putting the
default --mem-file-size into john.conf. I gave up my last try because
there is a chicken-or-egg obstacle.

magnum