Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:38:44 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Patch: allow --markov=SECTION in addition to --markov[=[MIN_LEVEL-]LEVEL[:START[:END[:[MIN_LENGHT-]LENGTH]]]]

On 06/10/2012 11:51 AM, magnum wrote:
> On 06/10/2012 11:39 AM, magnum wrote:
>> On 06/10/2012 11:35 AM, magnum wrote:
>>> But the first case, --markov=markov should use the existing section
>>> no parameters. And it does have a statfile defined.
>>
>> My bad. The default is [Options:Markov] but new ones are like
>> [Markov:name]. Seems to work fine (and I did not get the segfault when
>> using a custom section).
>
> This is arguable, but:
>
> 1. Would it not be more logical to rename [Options:Markov] to
> [Markov:default]? In Jumbo-5 it's all under just [Options] so there is
> no history of [Options:Markov] that we need to preserve.

As long as the extension --markov=section:<parameters> had not been
discussed, I would have disagreed.

And [Markov:Section] would have been used for --markov=section.

Now that we think about
--markov[=[SECTION:][MIN_LEVEL-]LEVEL[:START[:END[:
[MIN_LENGHT-]LENGTH]]]]

I would tend to agree with you.
Let's get rid of [Options:Markov], and use [Markov:Default] instead.

And I'll make sure to provide a helpful error message if the section
[Markov:Default] doesn't exist at all.

> 2. I think it would be nice to have missing "required" arguments in a
> custom section defaulting to what's in [Markov:default].

I would not think that is a good idea, because I wanted to avoid the
situation where a change of a value in one section affects interrupted
markov sessions which refer to another section.

> That way, I could have a section using another statfile just using this:
>
> [Markov:rockyou]
> Statsfile = $JOHN/rockyou.stats

If you want to make use of this, nobody prevents you from using

[Markov:rockyou]
.include [Markov:Defaults]
Statsfile = $JOHN/rockyou.stats

This should work.